Class of 1995
Steuben County Hall of Fame
The Steuben County Hall of Fame is sponsored
by the Steuben County Board of Legislators
The 1995 inductees will be recognized at a Presentation Program on April
22, 1995, following a reception at 12:30 p.m., and a buffet luncheon at
1:15 p.m. at the Tally-Ho Restaurant in Kanona, New York.
Floyd W. Annabel
Floyd W. Annabel was born January 13, 1886. His parents
farmed just north of Towlesville, New York. Floyd was a frail child with
a curved spine, but he was undaunted in his desire for improvement. When
he attended Avoca High School he cleaned the rooms and cared for four
furnaces. At Syracuse University he did house-cleaning jobs, was a restaurant
cashier, and in his final year ran a collection agency. He graduated from
law school in 1910 and was admitted to the bar in 1911 when he entered
the law office of John F. Little in Bath. Mr. Annabel continued in the
same quarters after the deaths of John and his brother William Little.
Floyd Annabel became Attorney for the Village of Bath and he represented
the Village in several controversies with utilities. He was active in
the creation of the Bath municipal gas and electric plants and the Village's
purchase of the Bath Waterworks Company system.
Mr Annabel took young lawyers into his office and helped them get started,
he even financed a first year in college for James Drake who went on to
be Steuben County Attorney.
Mr. Annabel was involved in many law cases that established legal principles.
In August 1935, he was appointed to the Supreme Court of the Seventh District.
He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, the Haverling Board of Education,
the Association of County School Boards, the Steuben County Taxpayers
Association, the Bath Rotary Club and Chamber of Commerce, and of the
local Masonic and Odd Fellows lodges.
On July 18, 1913, he married Olive Dutcher of Avoca, and they had two
daughters Katherine and Jean. Floyd Annabel died January 13, 1944, on
his 58th birthday.
Janet W. Richardson
Janet W. Richardson was born August 3, 1920, in Michigan
and has lived in the Corning area about forty years. Many seasons ago
she volunteered as a press registrar for the Watkins Glen races, and since
1963 she has been the chief registrar for every professional race held
at the track.
Mrs. Richardson was president of the Corning-Painted Post School Board
for 14 years, chairperson of the SteubenCounty School Boards Association
from 1968 to 1972, and 3-times president of the Steuben/Allegany Board
of Cooperative Educational Services. She was also director of the New
York State School Boards Association for 3 terms, and she has been on
the board of Corning Commuity College.
She was a very active participant in the consolidation of 61 school districts
in the southeastern part of the county to form the largest consolidated
district in New York, the Corning-Painted Post School District.
Janet Richardson has been on the board of Directors of the Seven Lakes
Girl Scout Council for 11 years, has been active for Planned Parenthood,
and received awards for her volunteer work. She was president of the Corning
Branch of the American Association of University Women in 1959 and '60
and was the AAUW "Woman of the Year" in 1985. In that same year the Steuben
County School Board Association named the Academic All Stars large school
trophy in honor of Janet W. Richardson.
She is the widow of George W. Richardson who was a designer for the Corning
Glass Works. Dwight Richardson, their son, lives in Ithaca, and Louise,
their daughter, in Rochester. Mrs. Richardson lives in Painted Post, New
Horton Guyford Stever
Horton Guyford Stever was born October 24, 1916, in
Corning, New York, where he lived until 1934, when he graduated with high
honors from Northside High School. He received a B. A. in Physics (summa
cum laude) from Colgate in 1938 and a Ph. D. in Physics (magna cum laude)
from Colgate in 1941. That year he started as a radar research laboratory
member at M.I.T., and in 1942 became an officer for radar development
at the London mission. From 1946 through 1965 he was at the Department
of Aeronautics and Astronautics at M.I.T. except in 1955-56 when he was
Chief Scientist with the U. S. Air Force.
In 1965 he was named president of the Carnegie Institute of Technology,
and continued as president after 1968 when the Institute combined with
the Mellon Institute to become Carnegie Mellon University. From 1972 to
1976 he was director of the National Science Foundation, and after 1973
he was also science advisor to presidents Nixon and Ford.
From 1977 he was consultant to and on the board of directors for several
prominent corporations. Following 1988 he has been Commissioner of the
Carnegie Commission on Science, Technology and Government. He has received
many awards and medals.
H. Guyford Stever's parents Ralph Raymond Stever and Alma Matt Stever
died when he was a child. He and his older sister Margarette were raised
by their grandparents Horton and Mattie Stever.
On June 29, 1946, he married Adelaide Louise Risley Floyd. They have
four children: Horton Guyford, Jr., Sarah Newell, Margarette Risley, and
Roy Risley. Dr. and Mrs. Stever now reside in Washington, D. C.