Lincoln Mills stood along Irondequoit Creek near where Linden Avenue crosses the stream now. The mill collapsed in 1910 when flood water burst the dam and washed away the building's foundation.
Robert Lincoln Koehler found an old chest in the crawl space over his kitchen when he was installing new insulation in 1993. The trunk was three-quarters filled with old papers dating back to 1790 and up through the Civil War. The papers had belonged to Mr. Koehler's ancestor Andrew Lincoln, and they recounted his activities as a busy miller over many years. Amongst these papers was one letter that stood out. Evidently, Lincoln Mills was robbed early in the year 1858, and the robber, being a basically honest chap, decided to return the papers he had taken inadvertently with a brief explanation of how he had broken into the mill. The note is reproduced in the center column and transcribed in the right band column.
Gary Lehmann of Webster, New York, sent the note and transcription with permission to reprint it from Mr. Koehler. Gary also supplied the 1900 era picture of the Lincoln Mills.
March, 2, Nd, 1858 Injured Sir